Colin had his first day of Mom's Day Out (MDO) today! The day I've been looking forward to and anticipating for so many months finally arrived! To say I had mixed feelings would be an understatement.
MDO is such a blessing since we don't have Grandparents in town to babysit every now and then for free. MDO provides a Christian environment for Colin to go to where he can play, learn and have some social time. He also learns how to be away from Mama and Dada for a bit. It also gives me a chance to run some errands and work on projects around the house. I'm also able to get in some relaxing and alone time.
So... the night before the big first day, I was kind of a mess. I've really been nervous about it but praying about it and really trying to give it to God- knowing He'll be with Colin through it all. So, I'd been praying and trying to keep it together, but then, that night, I started listening to a Family Talk show about homeschooling. The guest was pretty adamant about children not being placed in any kind of school until they're 8-10 years old! He had research to back up his opinion (all about emotional and educational damage that pre-school and early schooling does...). So, of course, I was affected by this broadcast. So, I asked Deron what he thought and, after a lengthy discussion, we determined that we believe MDO is the right place for Colin right now. We said if he doesn't do well, we'll take him out or reconsider how much he goes. However, we think that since we don't live near family, it gives Colin some time away from Mama and time with another adult other than his parents. Also, I think I'll be a better Mom for having some time alone. Not to mention the social factor that Colin is going to benefit from. I don't want to be motivated by guilty feelings, but rather by the Lord and by the logical assertions I can make with the mind He gave me.
So, when we got Colin up this morning, I was still feeling a bit of trepidation about the whole thing, but we prayed about it and went on our way. When we got there, the halls were filled with the cries of children being dropped off... oh dear!! However, when we got to Colin's class, he was happy to be there and started playing with some toys! We gave him kisses and left. Colin noticed a few seconds later and started crying, but it only lasted for a minute. I got teary eyed about it all, though. A sweet Mom in the hall saw me crying and said she felt the same way the first time but loves it now! That was encouraging. I was able to get it together by the time Deron walked me out to the car.
I determined that I would make a small list of things I want to get done each Tuesday (and optional Fridays) that Colin is in MDO. I also want to keep some time open for fun/leisurely things I want to do that I can't do with Colin. So, this morning, I went to Panera Bread, had a bagel and tea and did my Bible study for Friend to Friend! It was so lovely being able to focus on the Word and listen to God. (It made me realize I need to set aside more time each day more than just my quiet time at night... I think I'm able to focus better during the day... but that's a post for another time...). After Bread Co, I went to Target looking for a toilet for Colin and some other stuff we need. I was able to take my time and use the restroom at my leisure ;)
However, I began to notice, even at Bread Co, all of the Moms with their little ones. It really started giving me some guilty feelings. I wanted to have a sign on a necklace that says "Mom- kid's at school" or something to identify myself! It's so weird, and sort of lonely, without Colin! I'm so used to my little sidekick! It really made me miss him. And the more I saw kids with their Moms, the more guilt I felt until I realized I was being driven, once again, by guilt. I had to hand it over to God knowing He doesn't deal in misplaced guilty feelings, but rather in grace knowing that His daughter (me) is pretty independent and needs some alone time every now and then...
After that, I went home and made tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch (also not something I normally do with Colin- it's usually something quick...). My list for the day was to do some through vacumming (move furniture, etc- especially in Colin's room...). I also worked on our peeling paint issue. It was so nice to get so much done!
I was ready to go get Colin at 3pm, though! :) I met Deron in the hall and we went to get him. One of the teachers was holding him and he looked happy but super tired (he normally naps 2-3 hours a day but he's only going to nap and hour or an hour and a half at MDO...). He napped well, they said, after having some trouble falling asleep, but he napped the longest of the kiddos.
He was a bit of a stumbly, tired guy when I got him home but I decided that we'd keep him up til bedtime and just do an early bedtime. We happen to have small group Tuesday nights and therefore our babysitter comes. Oh dear! Double whammy Tuesdays for Colin! He was so tired, though, that she said that if she kept him active, he was ok. He went to bed early and when we got home, he was sleeping hard! Whew! What a day- he's all tuckered out!
I'm looking forward to more Tuesdays- and some Fridays- but for now, I'm glad to have the rest of the week with my sweet boy! We're so thankful to God for giving him a good day and for providing MDO. When I have God driving my decisions, and not guilt, I can see so much of how helpful and good it's going to be.
AWWWW I'm so glad that you had a good day! Sounds like Colin enjoyed himself too! I can't imagine not having my parents so close (15min drive) I'm happy to hear that you have a safe enviornment for him to go have some kid fun in a loving place!! =) I'm sure it will get easier each time he goes to MDO =)
ReplyDeleteLook at you, Natalie, your first post says you don't like to write that much, but check this post! Very well done! :)
ReplyDeleteJust look at what God did, how He provide, how he protected, and the amazing ways He continues to equip and direct Your steps. Hard/good lessons of life that will be good for you, Colin and your family as You obey Him and take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing your heart. Colin will love his special days as much as you learn to. Sending love and hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Nana! I love your blog!
ReplyDeleteYay, good job Natalie!!! I am so impressed and can totally relate to the feeling of seeing other mom's with their kiddos when yours is not around! Kinda sad and lonely. But how wonderful that you were able to spend some good, quite, uninterrupted, and reflective time with God. That's really inspiring!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are doing a blog too! So fun. :)
Give Colin a big hug from Aunt Tiffany!
Take care...XoxO
Yay! What amazing time to yourself! I still have a really hard time knowing that Lilli is in school as much or more than she is with me (I know...not your situation at all). I have come to realize though that as long as you are consistent and loving your child will grow just fine. I don't doubt the data that people present who advocate for daycare, but I don't think the whole picture of what the home life of these children is. I have seen that Lilli being away from me has taught her to respond to adults respectfully as well as interact with other children in a better more patient way. She is also much more outgoing and LOVES playing with other kids. I pray that God keeps your guilty feelings at bay and helps you realize that Colin knows he is loved even if his mommy takes Tuesdays and some Fridays to have some alone time while he gets to make some new friends! I hope all is well with you!
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog! I need to update mine (somehow the background disappeared) and I need to start posting again. Somehow the pull of FB has kept me from blogging! I really need to get back to it! I'm so glad Colin did well on Tuesday! And especially glad you got some time to yourself! Enjoy it... live it up from 9:00-3:00 on Tuesdays & Fridays! :0)
ReplyDeletePS... i didn't know if my picture would show up, but the last one was from amy scoggins!
ReplyDelete